Cleaning my LG... ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fly Be Free, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I finally gave up and pulled my eggs that didn't hatch. No sense in baking little bombs.

I cleaned the turner with Lysol wipes. I scrubbed the rack and the bottom with antibacterial hand soap and HOT water. I wiped the windows and fan off with Lysol wipes.

I was hesitant to use bleach as it could get into the foam crevesis and leech out when the heat and moisture start for the next batch.

Did I do okay??

I checked my eggs. I candled on day 8 and day 16. I locked down at day 18. I had four hatch back to back on day 21. I had marked the air sacs on the eggs when I candled on day 16. When I checked them yesterday the air sacs had fallen. My humidity had been good and the temp around 100. The highes temp was 101 and it was for only an hour or two. The only spike I had in humidity was on day 18 and it got up to 80 percent. I corrected it immediately and vented it out. By the end of day 18 everything had stabilized.

If you have any advice to change what I did I'd love to hear it. Only getting four eggs out of 16 was heartbreaking.

I opened a few of the eggs and it appears that they died either the day of or the day after lock down. A couple looked like they passed a couple of days before lockdown. I did use the egg cartons to hatch in. Should I have used the rack only? The carton seemed EASY for the babies. They even liked nestling in the spare holes to rest. :)

I'd also like to say thank you to all who helped me so much. I was up late last night listening for a peep. Then I dreamt that they all hatched while I slept. :(

I'm not going to give up. I don't know what happened. But I'm grateful for all of your advice and support. Thank you again.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

The last hatch I did a couple of weeks ago, I had a temp. spike of 111 degrees in lock down, and on hatch day, the humidity was 99%. I doubted If any would hatch...but 6 out of 8 did. I preffer to hatch eggs on their side......maybe thats what worked? The best advice I can give, is try to mimic a broody hen as much as you can. Some people even open the incubator about an hour each day to cool the eggs off, like a mother hen when she leaves to eat and drink. Good luck with your next hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by