cleaning? new to this

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenfingers89, Mar 23, 2013.

1. greenfingers89

greenfingers89 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    ilkeston, derbyshire
    Hi people i am new to this and am a little worried about a couple of mu chickens they have rather dirty bottoms and unsure what exactly i should do? Could i put a bath type thing my run for them to bathe or do i need to do it.. i havent handled them yet as only had them for a week and they are still a bit weary of me thanks

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Are they still chicks? This good be pasty butt- if it is, hold a moist warm paper towel on its rear and wipe. If you have plastic waterers, put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in the water. (about a tablespoon to a gallon). This helps prevent/treat it. Happy chickening!
    CG3

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

No, they won't bathe themselves in water like other birds do. You can either wash their bottoms with warm water and blow dry them or you can clip off the dirty feathers. Next step would be to try to determine why they have dirty backsides. They may have internal parasites and need to be wormed. Check them over carefully for lice/mites as well.

4. greenfingers89

greenfingers89 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    ilkeston, derbyshire
    How exactly would you check for lice/mites as at the mintue i havent been able to handle them? What are the signs

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I go out at night with a small flash light and check them over when they are on the roost. Mine get ticked off when I handle them too so this way is easier. I check all over their bodies, down to the skin for any mites crawling around or any lice or lice eggs attached to the base of the feathers.

6. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Sometimes chickens dust in wet dirty. We have a Buff Orp who sports a dirty bottom all winter so you might not even have a problem.

I think its important to learn to handle you hens. Chickens are deep sleeper and extremely docile when aroused at night, so it's a good time to look then over and learn to care for them.

I have two hens that I can't handle during the day so do all their checking and treating at night. Have everything you might need ready before you get the hen. Take a careful look and feel head to toe. At minimum check the crop, the vent, the legs and the comb.

If the butt is dirty I find it's easier to clean then up in the sink, I use mild (human) shampoo. Take care not to rub it into their skin and rinse it until the water is running completely clear. Adult mites can be seen. They usually look like little red. black or white dots and can be washed off. Or the chicken itself, the coop and yard can be treated with seven dust.

I have been told that "FrontLine" (the type for dogs) can be used to prevent re-infestations of mites and lice but have never tried it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Might want to wash the butt to check for sores.Have this issue with one.Wash,trim,spray blue kote,add antibio cream or aloe hemrrhoid cream. I hate having to wash,but some hens have this issue and need help or sores develop. When my one had a vent prolapsed I saw lice when washing here.They were tan.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes, clean her up. Poo left on feathers will cause ammonia burns (think diaper rash). I'd imagine that would be very uncomfortable! Some of my fluffier hens, mainly my standard Cochins, had this problem. A quick bath, blow dry and trim took care of it :)

9. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Also if the chickens have poo by the butts it will attract flys, which can then lay eggs and then the maggots will go into the chicken. Not a very good thing for chickens.[​IMG]
    Also if you have trouble handleing the chickens you might want to try and wrap them in a towl to hold them, and then sit with them in your lap.This way they get used to you handling them and they can't flap their wings.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. greenfingers89

greenfingers89 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    ilkeston, derbyshire
    i checked over the chicken with the dirty bum and have found that she has poultry lice.. ive been and bought some mice and lice powder and have done all the chikens and coop. Hopefully they will all be ok.... fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by