1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning off poopy duck eggs for the bator ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maus, Apr 3, 2008.

1. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    How do you clean them? Ducks are so filthy. Should I just try using a brillo pad without water? Or is it different with duck eggs?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    The bloom on duck eggs is really thick and I try not to scratch it as it protects the eggs from bateria, can you believe that the really yucky eggs hatch under momma ducks without a problem. To clean them up, I get a wet paper towel and wrap them up in it for a couple of moments. Then just use it to lightly wipe it off, leaving the egg clean and the bloom intact. I try not to use anything abrasive on eggs.

4. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    Thank you M.P. and Leslie

Well, I did clean them but I just used a washcloth and warm water. I hope that was enough. They werent as dirty as the goose eggs on MP's thread but still yucky enough to make me a little nervous.

They are all set in the bator now. I hope they hatch. They are Runners and a few Pekins [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by