Cleaning out feeders/waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Agilityscots, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi all,

What do you use to clean out feeders and waterers? What's safe enough for my chicks but also strong enough to kill off any nasties? I only use natural cleaning products in my house (mostly Seventh Generation) and no chemicals of any kind...but even so, am still afraid to use them to clean off my girls' feeders and waterers because I know birds of all kinds are extra sensitive. Suggestions for natural cleaners would be greatly appreciated!

Amy

2. JFL1950

JFL1950 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Jacksonville, Texas
    We have been just using water and wiping them with a towel since we feed and water them twice a day they don't get all that dirty.

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thanks, JFL; I've been doing the same thing, but my chicks are pretty messy at almost 3 weeks old, and I would love to occasionally clean their "stuff" out with something stronger than water. I know when I'm wiping away poo off of their feeder, there's still nasty stuff left there that I can't see. I'm not a clean freak by any means but I just want something to really clean with. Any suggestions?

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Can you use diluted vinegar and water? I heard that is good for anything. I don't know about chickens though??!!

5. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    i use a tiny bit of antibacterial washing up liquid then rinse really well with hot water

6. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Judy,

Vinegar and water sounds great! I wonder why I didn't think of that? [​IMG] I imagine it's safe, if the chicks can drink ACV in their water...

Joanna, is that plain old dish soap you're referring to?

Amy

7. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    agilityscots, it is antibacterial washing-up-liquid in a squirty bottle that you wash the dishes with

8. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thats what I use.. Vinegar and hot Water.. I dont like to use chemicals either.. I also put a little bit of vinegar in all of my animals drinking water ever so often.. its suppose to be good for keeping fleas, ticks and other bugs off your little feathered/furry pals.. They dont seem to even notice its in there..

9. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Fluffychickenmama-I'm gonna try that. About how much vinegar do you put in their water. I have dogs, cats, chickens, etc. Spend alot on frontline! Not for the chickens!

10. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I clean the waterer out weekly by adding bleach and rinsing well. Most people are hesitant about using bleach but it is definitely a broad-spectrum antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-parasite, etc. product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by