Cleaning Poop from Chicks feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenLou, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ChickenLou

ChickenLou New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    Whats the secret to cleaning the poop from the bitty's feet?

First post here. I have lurked for a long time. We finally bought and brought home 10 little ones (RIR), and they seem to be doing well. I read somewheres that cleaning the poop from thier feet is a good thing. I've tried, seems like there is a trick to it. Stuff is like cement.

Anyway, thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I don't know the answer to your question. Just wanted to wish you luck with your new chicks. I got some last week as a first time thing for me and so far so good.

Good Luck:)

Angie

3. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I had the same thing when mine were kept on paper towel in their baby cage (dog crate) When I took them out they had cemented on poop so I tried water and picking but one of them bled so I put vaseline on them and washed right off the next day.
    Good luck
    Oh Yeah-[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    welcome to backyard chickens forum!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I used a warm washcloth to remove dried pooh from their feet. It helps to soften it up and comes off easily. Just hold the cloth on the poopy spot until it softens up, may take a few minutes but it worked for me.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

5. ChickenLou

ChickenLou New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    Thanks all for all of the quick responses! We are so enamored with our new bitty's and want them to do well. I'll give the warm rag deal a try and see how it goes.

[​IMG]

Thanks again

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC from California!! [​IMG]

7. ChickenLou

ChickenLou New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    I am so sure you know how excited we are about our bitty's!

First time raising chickens... This is fun [​IMG]

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yeah!!! your the first person here who calls them bittys. Where I came from thats all we ever called them. Chicks or Chocks etc. We just didn't. My Grannies called them bittys too. I think the others have given you some great ideas for cleaning them up. Now if I could just figure a way to keep one of my Brahmas from messing her feathers beneath the vent I would love it. I even trimmed the feathering back and she still does it. The poop is normal just doesn't roll off those feathers. Yuck. In the summer I will wash the big poopy butt. But in winter i do not want to get her wet. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by