Cleaning poop off chick feathers!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EldritchAcres, Mar 12, 2018.

1. EldritchAcres

EldritchAcres In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    Hello!

This is my third time raising baby chicks, and this is the first time I've had messy babies! I don't know if it's because I have two turkeys with my 4 chicks but even with frequent bedding changes there is poop on everyone! This is more specifically on the turkeys, they're 3 weeks old and one of them in particular always has poop all over his chest. A few of the baby chicks some how have poop on their back feathers. Any advice on how to best clean these poopy babies?!

Thanks!

ronott1 likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Just give them a bath in warm water, and scrub it off. Blow dry them, on low heat and low power.

Do you have enough space in your brooder?

ARpullet and ronott1 like this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I've heard that the best way to go about it is to smear coconut oil on the packed poop and let it soak in before gently removing it. It worked for me when my one little bantam peep had pasty butt.

I've never tried water washing. I thought about it, and I think putting something as small as a chick into water would probably create the same sort of bone-deep chill that makes my wrists ache in winter.

ARpullet, EldritchAcres and ronott1 like this.
  4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Luckily the time in the brooder is not that long!

Great advice on cleaning them

ARpullet likes this.
  5. EldritchAcres

Mar 12, 2018
    Yep, it's about the size of an x-large dog crate (which I keep it in for double security inside the house from cats). I clean it 4 times a week. I'll try out the warm water and low blow drying. I wanted to use a damp cloth but I didn't want to get them too wet. I didn't think about how to dry them. Thanks!!

ARpullet likes this.
  6. EldritchAcres

Mar 12, 2018
    I'll give that a shot if I find any packed on! It's mostly smeared. Thanks!

And yess, I'm glad brooder time is pretty short. The guineas are going outside this week, and the chicks are mostly feathered. The marans seem to be taking longer.

ARpullet and sylviethecochin like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: