Cleaning poop off new chicks to avoid obstruction

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by reneepren, Apr 7, 2018.

1. reneepren

reneepren Chirping

Apr 4, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    My chicks are still less than a week old soI am having to check their rear ends regularly to make sure they don’t get dried poop obstructing bowel movements. They are so cute and I don’t want to hurt them when I get the poop off. I have been using a paper towel which is damp and a soft toothbrush when necessary and some coconut oil when I’m done but does anyone have a kinder gentler way?

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Coconut oil should work just fine. I would not use a toothbrush, sounds just too rough.

There is a reason they keep getting poop stuck though and you should find out why and prevent it.
    What is the temperature in your brooder?

oregonkat likes this.
  3. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I use a cup of warm water and q-tips to keep applying drops of water to soften the clump near the skin until it breaks up. Takes a few minutes this way but their skin is so delicate. I'd be afraid a toothbrush would be painful.

Also what's your brooder heat source? Too cold or too hot can encourage pasting up. Adding probiotics to the water can help, as well as a few drops of apple cider vinegar with the mother. I find it cheapest locally at Aldi.

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    I'm fairly new at this but I used a bowl of warm water and Epsom salts and held them with just their bottoms in the warm water for a few minutes. They don't seem to mind if the temp is right. Then eased the poop off gently with a paper towel.
    I also add a bout a half tsp of ACV to their water and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  5. reneepren

reneepren Chirping

Apr 4, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I live I Phoenix AZ temps now 67-90 so they are in large cardboard area within walk in run with rice hull bedding a heat lamp and a radiant heat platform they can go under. They can go as close or far from heat lamp as they like and during day scratch about far from lamp but at night prefer the lamp to the radiant heat. Area more than4 x4 feet. I so put a few drops of ACV in water

Ruralhideaway likes this.
  6. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

We use the warm water soak, as well.
    Pasty-Butt is usually stress-related - and stress comes in all forms. If your temps are right, make sure the chicks have enough water. Brooder lights can dry up your water source pretty quickly and some bedding (like shavings or pellets) soaks it up so that the babies can't get to it. If they are rushing the water source when you refill it, they're too thirsty. Dehydration will stress them quicker than anything!

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    A heat platform and a heat lamp?
    I would get rid of the heat lamp immediately.
    If you don't have a known thermometer, I'd advise you to get one and calibrate it and take the temperature under that heat lamp.
    I can almost guarantee you that it is TOO hot.

8. reneepren

reneepren Chirping

Apr 4, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Remember it is an outdoor area and it gets down to the mid 60s at night and they have a huge area to run around and get away from the heat lamp

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Mid 60's is fine.
    Colder is better than too hot.

10. Rogue Chickens

Rogue Chickens In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2018
    Central IL
    I've got one of my BO chicks who is going through this too... Guessing because she's so fluffy!

Today, I successfully cleaned her up well with running warm water in the sink and soaking her behind while I held her. Then, used qtips to gently work the caked poop out. It did wonders!

Afterwards, to dry her, I used my hair dryer on low temp and speed and made sure she was plenty dry. She actually loved the hair dryer!! Afterwards, she was super fluffy again and now I have a hard time differentiating her from the others! No trace of poop!! :wee

P.S. that's her in my avatar, post bath!

KikisGirls and Ruralhideaway like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: