Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swissmiss989, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have a LG with a Fan kit. I just used it for a hatch (my 1st hatch to be exact!) and it came with everything I needed except Cleaning instructions! I have new eggs coming and I have read horror stories about Styrofoam incubators that have had left over bleach smell or the eggs died due to bacteria so please I don't want to hurt my eggs. Whats the best way to clean with out damaging my incubator or the eggs thanks!

2. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Quote:The best product you can use is Oxine . it kills alot more types of bacteria and it wont harm the eggs. just dilute it with water and put in a spray bottle and spray a mist in the whole bator and let it set . no need to rinse it off.. its good stuff

3. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:The best product you can use is Oxine . it kills alot more types of bacteria and it wont harm the eggs. just dilute it with water and put in a spray bottle and spray a mist in the whole bator and let it set . no need to rinse it off.. its good stuff

Thats awesome. Where would I find it?

4. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011

Thats awesome. Where would I find it?

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Just to allay your fears a bit... I clean out my styro hatcher with plain old household bleach, even letting it soak for a few hours before rinsing it off, and I've never had any problems with bleach fumes killing eggs or chicks. Though I have been told by people I trust that different brands of bleach can leave residues behind, so maybe I've just been randomly lucky with the type of bleach that I use. Also I'm in the UK, so maybe our household bleaches have safer chemicals in them.

6. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    What's your brand (incase we have it here in the states)

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've used a few different ones. No particular brand. Just cheap supermarket own-brand bleach, nothing fancy. Always the basic plain stuff, never the ones with fancy smells. Just plain old 'bleach' scented. Over here the basic ones all come in dark blue plastic cartons but your colour-marketing might be different. I usually buy from ASDA, which is owned by Wal-Mart, but I'm not sure if that means all their stuff is the same...

8. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Lol I work for them so ill take a peek around the bleach isle and see what I can find. I have seen that people soak/spray their incubator then rinse it again. Mine has a fan kit. How do you our would you clean around that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by