Cleaning roost?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Nov 20, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My roost and doghouse roof are covered in poop. How does one clean it? Any good methods?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    well..this may be very wrong, but...first i scrape it down...then my hubby sands it down real quick(with an electric sander)..(just to make sure we have a pretty clean, smooth board), then i scrub it with bleach/water or another type of disinfectant...let it dry a few hours..and paint it with DE....but i am totally clueless actually..so, i would love to hear how its supposed to be done..i've just been guessing..thanks for asking this question!..wendy

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh..did you mean roof or roost?..sorry...i was talking about my roost..[​IMG]..sorry..

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I use a paint scraper thing (at least that's what I think it is [​IMG]) and a pair of gloves and just scrape some of the bigger poop chunks off. It's a 2x4 and tends to get super nasty.

Other than that I don't "clean" it. Maybe I should?

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I use a stiff wire brush, then I spray liberally with Oxine solution. I don't actually "clean" mine, either. DH and I added a small extension to my coop a few months ago, and he made the roosts removable for me so I can more easily take them out & give them a good washing down when necessary:

[​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I usually just put on a dust mask and do a quick scrape, if they need it.

What's the dog house roof made of? That'll make it easier to give cleaning suggestions.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The roosts are 2 x 4's, that too, but the dog house is made out of some soft wood. I've tried dry scrubbing with a metal brush, maybe I should soften the poop with something first. Redhen and you all, you've given me some good ideas. But it is soft wood, stained. I worry about ruining it.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wait till they're all outside, then spray the roosts with ammonia (since ammonia will kill things bleach wont). We let that sit, scrape off the softened poop, then wipe with a clean wet rag.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've not yet had to deal with Serious Encrustation, like get-the-jackhammer-out kind of thing, but for lesser deposits it has worked well to lay a wet towel or rag over the area for a coupla hours then use a paint scraper to remove the softened material.

I'd say "have fun" but it seems kinda inappropriate here [​IMG],

Pat

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Did you paint the roof? It should be sealed with something which would make it easier to just scrape off. If it's sticking too much or the wood is damaging easy when you scrape I think you need to sand it back down and a put a better sealant on it or the rain and weather is going to ruin it sooner. A good waterproof sealant would also help keep the poop from sticking so it's easier to wipe or scrape off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by