Cleaning / Sterilizing Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaDragon, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    Greetings All!

What is the best way to clean and sterilize those styrofoam incubators??

You can't scrub them much without them shredding in your hands, so is it dish soap & hot water, then a bleach solution sprayed on and allowed to air dry?

How do you clean the top? I don't want to ruin the heating element and such.

Kathy

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I would not use bleach. The fumes will soak into the styrafoam.

I use Incubation Disinfectant Concentrate made by Brinsea. I mix it with hot water and I let it sit on the incubator for 30min to an hour, and then I rub the incubator and the trays, etc. and then rinse in hot water. Then I take some more of the disinfectant, mix it with water, and put it in a spray bottle. Then I mist the top of the incubator and wipe away with a clean towel. I use hot water with the disinfectant. Then I mist the whole incubator and let it sit till it drys. I have had no problems and my incubators area always sterile.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Miss Prissy had a good thread on a good method here awile back. If you do a search you can probably find that.

I wash mine with hot water and dish soap and then rinse out with a weak solution of bleach water. And let air dry inside it it's too windy or outside if it's not.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
  5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Bleach fumes won't stay in anything provided you let it dry. Bleach when dry just leaves behind a salt residue. You absolutely must let it dry though. Vinegar is another option. Usually slightly safer than bleach but also must leave it to dry to get rid of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by