CLeaning the bator after a hatch questioin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickiebabyfluff, May 18, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    If you have one hatch goin right in after another is it necessary to clean and disenfect the bator each time? If so how long do you wait before puttin in the next batch of eggs

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I do! The bator gets so yucky after a hatch and I would think bacteria would grow and possibly ruin your next batch. Plus the smell would be hard to handle.

I cleaned my bator this morning and just set 4 dozen eggs a few minutes ago.

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

How did you clean it? I have a foam-type incubator, plastic tray, wire.

Thanks for your help.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:I have a LG so styrofoam and wire. I used soap and water and a magic eraser sponge to help get into the water wells. I then sprayed it down with my shower head- I have an adjustable one that has a massage feature that shoots water out really fast. I have heard that bleach will eat the styrofoam if left on for very long so don't let it soak in anything with bleach in it. I then turned on the bator for awhile to let it dry out.

5. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:Ty ty for the info and the cleaning info!! I have a hovabator so i was leary of puttin bleach on it Eggs have arrived today and the last batch hopefully tomorrow sooo i'll be ready!!!!

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thanks for the info, BarefootMom! I appreciate it!

Val [​IMG]

7. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i used bleach the first time with my hovabator. i won't do it again. the bleach smell stayed for a long time. last time i scrubbed with dish soap and rinsed really well and air dried for a while. seemed to work well.

8. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:is there an advantage to using anti-bacterial dish soap or reg is fine?

9. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    Quote:is there an advantage to using anti-bacterial dish soap or reg is fine?

i just used dawn. i don't like the anti bacterial stuff but i'm sure it would be fine. i think the scrubbing with any kind of soap and rinsing really well is what matters most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by