Cleaning the birds ..(pics)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rennie, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Here is my situation,

Today I took in 6 ex battery hens that as you can probably guess have hardly any feathers, Saying that they are about 60% covered and mainly bald underneath and around the rear end.

The problem I have is that they stink .. Coming from the living conditions they did Im not really surprised. They are clean in the sense that they are not covered in mud or poo or anything like that, They just have a nasty smell about them.

Im wanting to bath them but im not sure if I should or how to go about it if i did, Should I wait until the feathers are grown back before I do bath them or would it be ok for it to be done now?.. Would bathing them affect the feathers that are growing back?

Anyone have any idea on what i should do and how to do it ?

Im not expecting them to be smelling like roses for ever I just want them to be rid of the battery smell .. Its not nice on your clothes let me tell you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I would think as long as you dry them well when you are done, they'd be fine. Our girls love the blowdryer, especially in the winter. And I can't imagine that giving them a bath would affect the growth of their new feathers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    and what should i use to wash them .. would human shampoo or something liek that be to much ?

4. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have used human shampoo, hand soap, and even Dawn dish liquid. For your situation, I'd think shampoo would be a good choice.

5. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Thanks for you help.. much appreciated [​IMG]

(Get ready girls ..it will soon be bath time [​IMG])

6. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    You are very welcome! You may be surprised that they LIKE the bath. After the initial freak out of being in the water, our girls will lay down in the water and close their eyes. We call it spa time.

7. Rennie

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Lol well even if they dont ..I cant put up with the battery smell so they better deal with it [​IMG] , Im not planning on doing it as a regular thing, just this once will be fine i think, There isnt that much in there coop that could possibley make them smell as close to what they do now

The others i have smell great as far as a chicken could ..and they have never been close to water except to drink

...It just goes to show how poorly battery hens are treated, Opened my eyes today seeing and caring for these birds

8. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm curious to know how the baths go, so keep us posted. [​IMG]

9. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    We use for meat birds Wisk laundry detergent. Really breaks up the poop, and leaves them smelling fresh as daisies after! (For a day...)

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We always use baby or kid's shampoo. Mine have always been partial to 'Kangaroo Mangaroo'. [​IMG] Just be careful to keep their heads up if they get relaxed and drowsy. Some chickens will actually drown if you don't watch out. They will tend to fall asleep during their baths. And I know from experience it's tough to multi-task alone; keep the head up and clean them at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by