Cleaning the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TcherDawn, Jun 29, 2010.

1. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Can I just take out my 8 babies, put them into another box, quickly clean up their mess, then pop them back in? They have made quite a mess of the paper towels in the few hours they have been in there. Can't wait to see the mess in the morning!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Yeah, I use a laundry basket lined with paper towels and my daughter watches them while I clean the brooder every couple of days.
    Caroline

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    That's the way I do it.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I let mine hangout in the bathtub while I clean mine out and let it sit in the sun for a while.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I use a pet carrier for small animals for mine. They are cramped but they're not in it very long. I keep a spray bottle and I spray it then wipe it out. put down fresh towels, food and water and put them back in. Takes only a few minutes. I give the brooder a good soaking in the tub with bleach between hatches. Then leave it in the sun to dry.

6. MCCmomof3

MCCmomof3 In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    WA
    Yes, I used a clear plastic container that I lined with paper towels or newspapers while I quickly changed out the bedding in their brooder, cleaned the roosting pole and the waterer and feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by