1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning the chicken brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jatsma, Jun 15, 2016.

1. jatsma

jatsma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Canada, Saskatchewan
    Should we clean out the wood chips completely or just put more wood hips on top. And our chicks are on chicken starter and I read they don't need grit until they eat bugs and stuff is this true?

2. kbky1973

kbky1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Just put on more chips. Deep litter is the way to go. I do this myself. Stir them up every other day , add some.

3. kbky1973

kbky1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Feed a little chick grit on top of the starter feed along. Gets them ready.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    They are likely pecking a bit at the wood here and there, so five them grit to be safe. That's better than impacted crops!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    For cleaning, go by smell. If it stinks, clean it out all the way. If it's not stinky, just not really fresh, you can add some chips.

This also depends on how large the brooder is and how many chicks are in it. And indoors or out. Folks brooding inside, in those small plastic totes, will want to do a full clean out much more often. Me, brooding in large livestock troughs in the garage, don't clean out as often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by