Cleaning the coop tmw... Shaveings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bryan8, Sep 12, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well im cleaning my coop tmw. I normaly just use hay, but I have a big bag of hardwood Shaveings. (not ceder). Should I try them?

The hay is only good for about 1-2 weeks before it gets all gross

Will shaveings be ok and will they keep it more clean?

Thanks

~Bryan

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I love shavings, they last much longer than hay.

3. klevesque

klevesque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Poland, ME
    But what is done with the shavings when it is replaced?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:Compost them, or just keep adding more instead of cleaning it out as often.

5. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Hay in our area is cost effective and can more easily composted for re-use in the gardens.

Shavings require lots of nitrogen to break down and cost more per cubic ft.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Well, I guess the breakdown time is part of why the shavings last so long in the coop. Hay turns to slimy mush so quickly. I have never done a cost comparison but I bet by the time you factor in the length of time it stays in the coop you would come out pretty even. But yes, you need space for composting, course, its pretty nitrogen rich with all that chicken poop, but you've got to have the space to let it compost for a while before you can put it in the garden.

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i use pine shaveings. usually clean out coop every two weeks shovel out the old and put new down. i use 2-3 bales of shaveings and they run around 6.00 a bale 3.25 cu ft per bale. i just dump the old shaveings in a pile and use them for the garden. i have some thats 3 yrs old. i put dropping boards down under the roosts yesterday so the shaveings on the coop floor will last longer now. my coop is 10x12. 23 hens and a rooster 12, 24 week olds and 11, older hens.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  8. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    :frowWe use pine shavings, and I havent cleaned it out yet, probably won't till after winter. I just keep adding a little to do the deep litter method. I hope to have the litter 6-8 inches deep by late fall. Gets pretty cold here in winter.I have a poop board under the roosts, and I clean that every other or third day. The shavings on the floor keep the poop dried up, and there is no smell at all from urine, Coop is 6x8 with 6 birds. Expecting eggs in a week or so,,,,,,,,,i hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by