1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning the Coop: What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Lover 1, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    This weekend I am going to clean the coop. I have a mite problem. My coop is as big as a living room with concrete floors. What is some stuff I should do.

2. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am in the same boat you are in. I have only one bird showing signs but I am going to clean everything out. I am planning on cleaning everything out and then dust it down with sevin dust and some other spray that starts with a T. I can't remember the name of it. I will have to look at it and get back. Then I am going to dust every bird and put some flea and tick spray on the base of their necks probably. Then put in new shavings and hay and put the birds back in. I hope this is going to take care of it. If you have any other thoughts let me know.

3. Chicken Lover 1

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    I heard your suppose to put diomtash (cant spell that) earth underneath the shavings.

4. Chicken Lover 1

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Hey any ideas the weekend is coming up

5. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    It is diatomaceous earth. Get food grade...that is important. I would try it first, by itself without the Sevin. You most likely will eliminate your problem without spreading some pretty potent chemicals all over your coop and birds. Dust the birds with DE, clean the coop thoroughly and dry thoroughly, then spread DE everywhere, with particular attention to corners, nooks and crannies (that's where the mites hide). It will help keep your coop dry, too.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I used Green Light fruit tree spray and a backpack sprayer when I did mine. The active ingredients are an exact match to the drops sold for ear mites. I figured that if it's safe enough to apply directly to the birds, it should be fine in the coop. Saturated everything, let it dry. I dusted the birds themselves and the area under their nestbox liners with a poultry dust that uses pyrethrin as the insecticide. They did not enjoy being dusted but lots of treats helped.

Best of luck with your cleaning!

BTW, I used stuff I had on hand. I have some Sevin that I used sparingly around eggplants to stop a particularly bad flea beetle infestation but that's a product of last resort for me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by