cleaning the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gummybear61, Mar 19, 2017.

1. gummybear61

gummybear61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    how oftern during winter months should i do a deep clean in and out my coop????

i tried to clean it up every soooo often but i feel like its not enough.
    when the weather let up a bit i removed some of the soaked straw and hay from out side the coop....
    is that enough

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    An answer depends on so many things; number of chickens, size of coop/run and set up.
    We do a complete clean out of the coop twice a year (spring & fall), the run, once a year (spring).

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    My set up is an 8x14 coop with 21 hens. They are able to go out nearly every day in the winter.

The coop has a wood floor and I am using pine shavings.

I clean my coop every two weeks. Under the roosts may require a bit more attention if they are in for days on end.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

I guess I should add - we have 6 chickens, 8'x9' coop with a poopboard under the roost and a 8'x16' covered run. The poopboard is clean everyday or two. They are outside everyday.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We use sand for bedding inside, they don't feel compelled to hang indoors and scratch in it, and it dries the poo faster. The poo boards we clean daily/every other and the sand gets a sifting every so many weeks as needed. Outside we don't remove much, adding in fresh more often than not as needed. Rain makes it happen more often, along with stall refresher Sweat PDZ sprinkled in over a mix of pine shavings and straw. Typically once every couple of weeks.

6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Precisely every 23 1/4 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by