1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wally4232, Dec 11, 2007.

1. wally4232

wally4232 New Egg

Dec 11, 2007
    Hi new here and planning on my first coop this spring! Have been browsing here now for several weeks and love it! My question is if I use the DLM what do I do with the shavings when I do clean the coop out. I live in a rural area with about two acres right now, just so you know my situation.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Do you have a compost pile? Or spread it in your garden...good stuff.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    During the winter I spread them around the plants,
    fruit trees and in my gardens where I will turn the soil with my chickens help.

4. wally4232

wally4232 New Egg

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not have a compost pile yet buy that is on the list. Can I rototill the pine shavings into my garden as well?

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Quote:I've heard -- don't quote me on this -- that putting wood shavings or sawdust into the soil isn't a good idea, because it uses so much nitrogen to decompose that the plants get deprived. It's better, apparently, to compost it first.

I have an old garden plot I don't plan on using next year, so I'm throwing *everything* into it for now. Hopefully, by the time I get around to planting it all the stuff will have composted nicely.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    From what I understand, tilling it in does take nitrogen from the soil to break it down, but spreading it on the top of the soil makes it act like a mulch and it will break down without robbing the soil of nitrogen. So thats what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by