Cleaning the Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by netty74, Aug 23, 2013.

1. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    In the next few weeks I will be moving my adult birds out of the coop and putting my 5 week old birds in . ( 4 BR and 4 SLW ) What is the best cleaner to use for the coop ?? I have heard using vinegar and water is the best ??

2. redstarfather

redstarfather Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Land of Ooo
    does the coop have a wire floor? if so, just spray the floor with water from the hose. if not, you could buy one of those RIGID vaccums.

3. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    No , the coop floor has a wood floor with pine shavings on it . I was going to sweep out all if the shavings and clean the poop catch pan I have under the roost .

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Frankly, if the previous birds were free of disease, just shoveling out the old and installing the new should be all you need.

Chris

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree with Chris on the free of disease no real need to disinfect

But one thought, if your coop is like mine after a few months it is dusty, dusty, dusty OH did I mention dusty? I would take the opportunity at a minimum a good spray down with the hose to get all the dust out.

6. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    My chickens seem happy and healthy ! No diease they I know of . I will take a stool same in and get it checked just to be safe . ( I work for a vet ) ! Thanks for your help !!

7. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    BTW , my coop is dusty !!! I go out every few days and clean up the poop on the floor of the coop and I clean the poop pan under the roost once a week . ( I'm a little but of a freak when it comes to my animal and cleaning . My cow barn gets cleaned every day )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by