Cleaning the hard water crude from my waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Mar 21, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have horrible hard water build up on my metal waterer. What can i clean it with????

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Soak it in vinegar or throw it the dishwasher with a cup or two of vinegar.

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Thanks!

I will try soaking it! Is there any amount of time? I figuered i would soak it overnight and wipe it out/rinse it in the morning before i open them up!

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm bad I just buy new [​IMG] I have the same problem along with rust staining. I don't think its that bad if you use acv daily in their water.

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Just enough time to get the lime off. No more because all the time the acid in the vinegar is in contact with the galvanized metal it is degrading the zinc as well.

The vinegar will brighten up the apperance of the metal because it will react with the oxidized zinc first thing. think of cooking tomatoes in an or simmering pickeling liquids in an aluminum pot.

Don't skimp on the elbow grease to mechanically remove the built up corrosion so that less contact time with the vinegar is needed to remove it.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks!

I will try soaking it! Is there any amount of time? I figuered i would soak it overnight and wipe it out/rinse it in the morning before i open them up!

Just soak it until it most of it is dissolved. The vinegar may start to remove the galvanization and shorten the life of your waterer a little.

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Tell your significant other to hold it and blast it with a pressure washer [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by