Cleaning the pen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sammy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    I have a large pen around my small coop, of course the birds poop quite a bit.

I clean out the coop everyday and pick up the larger poops in the pen. Is that necessary or will the rain take care of the pen area?

Just wondering.

TY !

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    cleaning up is better for your chickens

3. masschix

masschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    Wow! Your chickens must love you! You really clean every day? I've been using the deep litter method and only have to clean the coop every 3 weeks, and rake out the run once a week.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Yesterday the skys really opened up and today there were no signs of chicken poop in the run. I've also been giving the girls lots of grass clippings in the run, especially heavier pooped areas.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I clean my coops every day too. I use shavings on the bottom, straw on top and using a pitch fork scoop and then remove the droppings. The dropping will stick to a little bit of the hay, so really I am just removing some top straw. It's pretty easy and doesn't take much time. The coop smells better and my birds stay cleaner. About every 5-6 weeks, I throw everything out and start with fresh shavings and straw.

I also tidy up the outdoor pen daily. Again, the birds stay cleaner which I have to believe is healthier for them, it smells nicer and keeps flies in check. And, when I am working with them, I am stepping in less poop. Now that's a real bonus.

Anne

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Wow, I'm impressed. I TRY to clean my pens every year!!!!

7. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks all! I will continue picking up the outside pen then as well as the coop, ok on some days I just may hit the BIG spots outside [​IMG]

What about in the winter? Do you mainly just do the coop?
    (dont they stay in it most of the day?)

Thanks!

Will post my bird pics soon

8. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    i been letting my girls free range ...hopfully i'll get grass someday

9. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I rake out the coop, every 3 or 4 days. I hose down the run, every 3 or 4 days, unless there's rain... we've been blessed with rain this summer.

10. masschix

masschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    This will be my first winter with the chickens, but after talking to some of the local farmers, they let their chickens out in the winter. I would guess that if it were brutally cold, they wouldn't. But they shovel all the snow out daily. I'm gonna try it and see how they handle it. I also plan to put panels up on three sides of the coop to keep out most of the snow. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by