Cleaning the pond turned out to be a great way to feed everyone!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by furbabymum, Sep 24, 2012.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I cleaned out my pond yesterday by simply pumping the water out of the run area. The pond is huge so eventually the water started flooding into the chicken and duck run. The poultry LOVED it. My husband told me I need to just flood all the pond water into the chicken run in the future. They even escaped the run to wade out into the water. It was full of different types of bugs and bug larvae. Strangely the ducks are the only ones who didn't get in on the fun. Even the peacocks were out wading. Silly ducks! I did take them a shallow pan with about 40 feeder goldfish in it. It was funny watching them drink the water. Then one of them realized the orance stuff in the water was edible and it was all out war. Fish flying everywhere!

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Cute!! I thought chickens didnt like water?

3. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I thought the same thing. But the water was 1" deep in some places and the chickens were happily wading and eating things out of it. Quite the adventure they had!

4. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    My chickens love when I dump the kiddie pools for the ducks. It's their favorite time of day lol

5. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    That's so funny. I had no idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by