"Cleaning Turkeys"

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 3 NH reds, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Sunday I had a freezer fill up day and thinned the flock. My new Whizbang plucker was a big help. I think I am taking too long cleaning them after plucking. Anyone know of any good videos on this? Any advice would be great.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I wish I had a plucker. I pluck by hand. :hit

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I have a plucker and the big turkeys that dress out at 30 pounds still have to be hand plucked. They don't fit in the plucker with enough room to tumble. So the plucker will get a few places and the rest must be hand plucked.

Although any part of the bird done by the plucker helps a bit. At least that part doesn't need to be hand stripped.

I find the turkeys easy to clean because the body cavity is so big and easy to work in. However, 3 NH Reds, my son chops and plucks and I gut and trim and it always takes me longer. He has to slow down on the slaughter and plucking because I can't keep up, and I am quick about my job. I think there is a limit to how fast you can dress a bird.

On the birds that need some hand plucking, like the geese and the big turkeys, we both pluck. It doesn't take long with 2 people working on them.

4. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lordy Kuntrygirl the size of your flocks and you don't have a Auto Plucker I feel for you.
    Celie tells me that her DH is making her one from an old gas Dryer or washer.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yea, but it's my own fault. I'm cheap. :oops:

6. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Oregon Blues is right. I cleaned my last bird and he dressed out at 30 lb. The plucker helped some but I ended up plucking by hand. I can't see building a turkey size plucker for the number of turkey each year. Hard to fit a 30 lb bird in the pan and it took forever.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I hear you! I want a large commerical pot to handle these big birds.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My bird who dressed out at 29 pounds, I just cut him into parts and froze. There is no way my family can eat 29 pounds of meat and cooked turkey meat doesn't store very long frozen. I can roast 1 turkey thigh and that will be a grand meal and sandwiches later. I froze half breasts and those are each a huge roast. I can invite friends over when I cook one of those and I will still have sandwich meat leftover. (oh yum. White turkey meat, artisan sour dough bread, real mayonnaise, and a couple of slices of sweet pickle.)

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sounds delicious!!

We are a family of 4, and I mostly eat meat, so we can polish off a full size turkey in a matter of days. I use the meat in a number of dishes, from tacos, to chunks in Naboo Sauce to turkey legs eaten like a caveman. [​IMG]

Always looking for more poultry recipes.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I wish I had 29 lbs of turkey in my freezer. :drool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by