Cleaning up after CRD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aShMaNv, Jan 28, 2012.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I was wondering about how to really clean and prevent CRD from still contaminating the coop. I had some chickens in a coop and run that had CRD and i lost a few birds. I had some that lived, but i was aware that once a bird was infected it would stay infected and remain a carrier forever. Therefore i decided to cull all the birds that were left. It was a tough decision, but i felt it was for the best. I read that CRD is transmitable from bird to bird and highly contaigous. I also read that CRD is also transmitable through contact with contaminated items such as feeders, waterers, etc.. My question is if i clean the coop and run that the birds with CRD were in, would it be ok to put new birds in it?? What would the odds be that they would get CRD??? And also how would i go about cleaning the inside of the coop?? and the run?? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.. I want to have chickens again, but i dont want to have to deal with CRD again if i get new birds.

2. aShMaNv

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I hope someone has some answers and has dealt with this before.. [​IMG]

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I actually had to do the same thing.
    I cleaned my entire coop, feeders, wateriers, etc. with oxine (which is stronger then bleach).
    I did a very hard scrubbing of the coop, inside and out.
    Then re-paint it (just in case).
    For the soil of my run i am going to put down hydrated lime to kill any bacteria/viruses in the soil.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Time to get out the good old scrub brush and liquid bleach and clean all the wall, floors and perches in the brooder box including the egg laying section. I mean everything and then rinse it out with a hose and hand dry it and let it air out all day, overnight if possible. Then throw down a lot of DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Food Grade and some garden quality lime. Then put fresh wood chips.

The coop remove all the food dishes, water dishes any perches and scrub them completely the same bleach method as above and let it all air out once again. Dig down to the base of the coop and do the same throw down a lot of DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Food Grade and some garden quality lime. Then put fresh wood chips. Now put back sterile stuff like new hobby.

Outside the coop and sleeper you need to rake and scoop up all the existing hay, wood chips, leaves and all yard debris to the dirt level. Dig down to the base of the run and do the same throw down a lot of DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Food Grade and some garden quality lime but spray this so it washes into the soil. Now bring in fresh hay and or other bark or ground cover your want to separate the birds from the ground. Put back all your sterile dishes and clean perches with new and fresh like starting new.

5. aShMaNv

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Great!! Thanks for all the info!! I hope this does the trick. I really hope this solves the problem. So after this process have you ever had anymore problems??

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    That should clean up all the sterile issues. If the birds get ill it is not from the sleeper the coop or the run. I would if illness persist bring a stool sample to a local vet and see what the stool sample reading said and then follow his/her advice. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by