cleaning up after disease

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chubbiechicken, Aug 6, 2013.

1. chubbiechicken

chubbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    How long should I wait to get new birds after disease..How long does it hang around after chickens are gone? I have bleached everything and its been a good 4 mths. I had a respiratory disease wipe my flock out and now I am ready to start over.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The bleach, at least 10% in water, would have killed practically everything in a few minutes. So that part is over.

Chris

3. chubbiechicken

chubbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    Thank you, what about the ground.. Does it stay in the ground? How about eggs? Can I buy and incubate without any worries of them being carriers of any disease

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I don't know if your disease might stay in the ground. You did not mention what it was. Whatever is was would tell you if it exists as a virus, bacterium, fungus, or such. If the disease requires a live host, that host is gone.

The disease would have to be specified for there to be more information available.

Bleach is very unstable and deteriorates to a stable form in a few minutes when exposed to air and sunlight as a wetting on a surface. That is why it comes in opaque containers.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by