Cleaning used chicken coop

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
I bought a used chicken coop. Not really what I wanted to do, but had no choice since no one had faith that I could build one myself. lol. Its very well ventilated. The other chickens have only been out of it for a week and my chicks won't be ready for a few more weeks. Whats the best way to clean it? I read its best to keep it dry, but I feel disinfecting it completely is really important. Airing it out shouldn't be a problem.

I don't shake in my boots,, so I would be comfortable just cleaning it physically, with a good vacuum, hose out with water,, and let my chickens live in it. Do you know of any/certain disease the previous chickens had??
Seeing your location, (California) I can see you may have certain concerns. Like/such as Newcastle disease.
Spray the cleaned interior, and exterior totally wet with laundry bleach. Use personal precautions/protection to avoid breathing bleach fumes. (mask, and being upwind from coop is best) Let dry,,, Coop is safe from bleach fumes once all is dry..
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I don't shake in my boots,, so I would be comfortable just cleaning it physically, with a good vacuum, hose out with water,, and let my chickens live in it. Do you know of any/certain disease the previous chickens had??
Seeing your location, (California) I can see you may have certain concerns. Like/such as Newcastle disease.
Spray the cleaned interior, and exterior totally wet with laundry bleach. Use personal precautions/protection to avoid breathing bleach fumes. (mask, and being upwind from coop is best) Let dry,,, Coop is safe from bleach fumes once all is dry..
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Also, they said there were no diseases, but she did lose one chicken to egg blockage. Sorry, I do not know the term of the condition

Sounds like your new coop may be trouble free :thumbsup
If you don't feel comfortable using bleach, then skip it. I feel very comfortable using bleach myself, and have used it for countless years to clean and disinfect things. I do suggest to use precautions when using it. I do. There are not many cooties that can escape bleach. My City Water is chlorinated, and also our swimming pools. Same active ingredient as in bleach.

Back
Top Bottom