Cleaning vents and dried yolk sac

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PaintedMeadows, Jun 19, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    We got our chicks yesterday and this is our first time having chicks. One died yesterday and it had what I assume was the dried yolk sac on it's lower bum. Not the vent for sure. I noticed another one has the same thing. He also has a pasty vent as well as one other one. How do I clean the vent? It is dried on hard and wiping with a damp cloth doesn't seem to be working. Could I use a bit of vaseline to soften it up or would that cause problems. HELP!! I don't want to lose any more. We now have 15 buff orpingtons, 4 dark brahmas, 4 australorps and 3 ameracaunas.

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    A nice warm bath and blow dry till fluffy. I put my chicks right in the sink with warm water from the faucet running on the vent. Careful...keep their heads out of the water so they do not drown!!

Just check those vents every couple days and keep them clean and they should be fine...they do outgrow this.

NO jokes about me being a vent checker ALL!! LOL [​IMG]

OH...and welcome to the addiction!!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    First off, congrats on your new babies! I am really sorry that you have lost one. [​IMG] That unfortunately is the hard part of raising these chickens.

Your are right about the yolk sac. That is right where it should be. It will dry up and fall off on it's own. Do not bother that. About the pasty butt. Get some paper towels, soaked with warm water and apply to the pasty area. Just let it sit until it softens up. It can be a very time consuming task! After you get it softened the best you can try to gently pull it off. You will pull some of the chicks fluff with it, but it will fix the problem. Good luck and [​IMG]

4. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    tee hee. OK, no comments and thanks for the welcome. OK, so a bath is in order. Will that hurt the one with the yolk sac still attached? I am worried about him/her. [​IMG] The others seem fine.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:This might not be the best route to take since the yolk sac is still hanging on back there. The moisture might open the abdomen back up. I wouldn't try this yet.

Sorry cheeptrick! I'm glad that works for you! I'm sure your chicks all smell great and are so soft. [​IMG]

6. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Oops, gumpsgirl, I didn't see your replywhen I posted. Thank you. Time consuming is fine because my son wants to be out there all the time anyways! lol. I'm tempted to put a stereo in there and then I can play some music while we are hanging out! lol. Off to clean some vents. I will try the paper towels first and then the bath if the towels don't work. Thanks!!

7. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:This might not be the best route to take since the yolk sac is still hanging on back there. The moisture might open the abdomen back up. I wouldn't try this yet.

Sorry cheeptrick! I'm glad that works for you! I'm sure your chicks all smell great and are so soft. [​IMG]

Agreed...it could open up the abdomen...wait on the SPA treatment!! [​IMG]

Hope they feel better soon!!

8. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    OK, I went out with my warm water and damp paper towel and got them all cleaned up. They fell asleep while I was holding the damp towel on them. It was so cute!! I think the yolk sac is going to fall off soon. It seems to be getting loose. I didn't touch it, it just looked that way from the way it was hanging. As soon as I cleaned them they all went and pooped. Must have stimulated them or something. Like a mare licking a foal. Anyways, thanks for the advice. I will keep you all updated. Here is a picture of some of our group.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by