cleaning your booder and incubator

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BRYAN662, May 2, 2009.

1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    is there a special disinfectent to use when cleaing my booder and incubator between chicks? and where can i find it? thanks for any help

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I use bleach water. I clean with soap and hot water first then spray with a bleach/water mix. Not super heavy on the bleach. Maybe 1:4 ratio if not less. Then I let them air dry.

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I just use soap and water...I suppose if the smell is bad I'd toss some bleach into the mix...or vinegar might be safer?

I think if you rinse it well enough you could probably use either...

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I use plain ol' dish soap and hot water. First I disassemble everything that will come loose and set that aside. and wash the styrofoam with dish soap and a designated soft toothbrush to remove any spots that don't come off with just a sponge and warm soapy water. Then I rinse off the soap, and i spray it all over with straight bleach, let it set a minute or two and rinse it really, REALLY well, and allow it to air dry. They should smell like brand new if they are ready to use again. If they don't smell like brand new, ya mista spot. Lather, rinse repeat.

5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Most sanitizers are designed to be left to dry with out rinsing. Both Quaternary and bleach are to be used this way. It is why food service always uses three sinks Wash-rinse-sanitze. The final rinse is to kill bacteria, soap is to get the grease off. Rinse gets the soap and the grease off. Final rinse should be about qtr cup of bleach to a gallon of water. It should smell like a very mild bleach solution. More bleach does not kill more bugs and is far more likely to leave a strong smelling residue.

Wash rinse sanitize is the mantra used in all food safety situations

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by