Cleanup after hatching - ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenski, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I know some folks use paper cartons for hatching to help with cleanup. I also read a university ag site that suggested some sort of cheesecloth liner for classroom hatching, but I wondered if little feet might get caught up in it. Has anyone used something like this, or do you have other ideas that might help with the mess of hatching? I will be moving eggs to a Hovabator 1588 for hatching . . . I have about 10 days to think about it. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've never used the cheesecloth but the egg cartons in the HB work great for me. Clean up is super easy. How big are the holes in the cheese cloth? The chicks' feet don't get caught in the wire mesh on the bottom of the HB so I don't think they would have any problems.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I saw a picture on here where somebody was using that rubbery shelf liner. I thought it was such a great idea, I'm going to do it myself. I will take a picture and post it later today. I will be moving some eggs into it tonight.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Let me know how that goes. I'd like to try it if it goes well for you.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I use shop towels in the bottom. After the hatch I throw them in the washer.

6. pegasuschick

pegasuschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    Someone said they used puppy pads on top of the wire grate. Anyone else use these? I wonder too if the chicks have toe nails that might get caught.
    Gina [​IMG]

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    These are all good ideas. My only worry with that shelf liner is whether it can take 100 degrees and not give off any chemicals or anything. Not sure what it is made of. I would be glad to hear from folks who use it successfully!

The puppy pads sound good too - but are they breathable?

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Let me know how that goes. I'd like to try it if it goes well for you.

I always use that liner under my cartons. Makes clean up even easier.

9. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Quote:I wouldn't think the shelf liner would be too affected by the heat. After all, it gets that hot or hotter in the summer some places.

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've used the non-slip liners. They work really well. No problems with them and the heat and it gives the chicks a good safe surface to stand on in their first wobbly attempts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by