CLEAR BULB OR RED???

momto2

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Northern Maine
Does it really make any difference to use a clear bulb? I don't have my chicks yet, but I went to the store today and all they had were the clear bulbs so I bought those. I will return them if I need red. Thanks for the help!!!

I use clear I think it does not matter, but Ive seen more clear.
big_smile.png

Also welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
Thanks lilcountry!!! I had read something about more pecking with clear than red? My chicks are being shipped today!! Just a little nervous, never having done this before. I'm used to raising cats and dogs but not chicks!!

Well when you've got time this is the place to be! Just start reading! All the answers are more than likely here b/c most people have already asked them. For quicker info, there is a search feature at the top next to rules and my page that you can type your interest subject in and any of the posts on that topic will come up in a list. !! Good Luck

I started off with a clear bulb but switched after 2 days to a red bulb. Had to get it at Lowe's but TSC has them advertised for a lot cheaper. Red seemed to settle my little "peckers" down alot. The clear bulb just seems soo bright. Hope it all goes well for you!

I am wondering if pecking is a boredom thing. My brooder is big, it is a metal horse trough. And I always have a branch in there for the chicks to play on.

These are my first chicks, but I've been using a clear bulb and haven't had any problems.

I used a clear bulb with my first batch but switched to a red one for my second batch (only about a week younger than the first ones). I got the red one because the two RIRs I got had been pecked at the feed store and were pecking at each other just a little bit. The red bulb definitely calmed them down and they haven't pecked at all since I've been using it.

Back
Top Bottom