1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

clear diarrhea or discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by neo6hens, Dec 1, 2014.

1. neo6hens

neo6hens New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    Naples, N.Y.
    I need help! One of my hens became very lethargic and was having watery poop. I put her in the basement to isolate her from the rest of the flock, gave her some antibiotics in her water and she has perked right up, but still has a very wet vent with clear drainage. The rest of the flock seems more loose than normal, but maybe I'm just looking harder. What do you suppose it could be and what should I do about it?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Lethargic and watery diarrhea, sounds like worms. I recommend that you worm all your birds with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Administer orally undiluted to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc to each standard size chicken, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Repeat dosing in 10 days.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    What age are the birds, what is the name of the antibiotic, and how long have you been administering it?

4. neo6hens

neo6hens New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    Naples, N.Y.
    The birds are 8 to 9 months old and I used sulmet for the one I isolated.

5. neo6hens

neo6hens New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    Naples, N.Y.
    Oh, and I've been giving it for four days.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Sulmet is effective against a few intestinal strains of Coccidiosis. I would change over to using Corid (Amprolium). Dosage for 20%powder is 1 to 1.5 tsp per gallon of water, or 9.6% liquid is 2-3 tsp per gallon of water for 7 days to treat symptoms. If you haven't dewormed like dawg53 mentioned, this is the age where intestinal worms are more of a threat.

I would stop the Sulmet, and run poultry vitamins and 1 tsp Probios dispersible powder in each gallon of water for 2 days, deworm them as dawg53 mentioned, then run Corid for 7 days. On day 8 begin supplementing with vitamins and probiotics in water 1 day, then just vitamins for 2. That will bring you to day ten when you administer the second deworming.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  7. neo6hens

neo6hens New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    Naples, N.Y.
    Where would I find Valbazen?

8. neo6hens

neo6hens New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    Naples, N.Y.
    Thanks for your speedy replies. I feel a lot more confident that I can tackle this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by