clear discharge and bubbly eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jenshens79, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jenshens79

Jenshens79 Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    Hello! This is my first post here! I come here to find my answers to everything! I have some hens in my flock that have some bubbly watery eyes and a clear mucus that gets stuck to their beak. One is also looking pale. I think this is a respiratory infection from what I've read. What is the best way to treat the whole flock, seeings how more than one is getting this? Other than these symptoms, they are still eating well and active. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan powder 2 to 3 Grams per gallon of water for 3-5 days or Duramycin-10 give1/2 to 1 tablespoonful per gallon of water for 7-14 days. I'm not sure how many teaspoons or tablespoonsful of Tylan to equal 2 grams--the feedstore may tell you or the label will say. Most of these meds need to be mixed fresh every day--just read the label. Here is a link to diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    If your flock is small, Tylan50 or Tylan200 injections would work best. Tylan given in the water or orally takes longer to begin working. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams. The dosage for Tylan200 (which works better, but may be more difficult to find) is .5ccs for large fowl and .1 to .3ccs for bantams.

4. Jenshens79

Jenshens79 Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks for the info! I will look for this and give it a try! I have 38 chickens all together, all ages! They are our pets, and we love them all! We spend many hours just sitting and watching them! People who don't have them just don't understand how entertaining they are and that they really have their own characteristics!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may have a little trouble orally medicating with Tylan 50 with 38 chickens, but you can certainly give your already sick birds the Tylan 50--I would use 1/2 ml for a regular sized chicken--it can be given as a shot in the breast muscle for 3 days (best), orally once a day for 5 days (better) and Tylan powder in the water (good). Duramycin is also good in the water, but Tylan is probably the best med.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: