clear discharge from mouth, nostrils, eyes??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bturbo87, Aug 7, 2010.

1. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    black copper maran, 3 months, has recently lost wiehgt, maybe a pound and a half 2 pounds
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    very lethargic, clear discharge began today
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    lethargic for 3-4 days
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no we have had extreme temps lately 115 heat indexes
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    no
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    water with electrolytes and bird viatmins, layer crumbles
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    normal
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    isolated inside because of heat 3 Ml injection of sugar water with electrolytes for an energy burst, she looked about dead when we found her, been keeping an eye on her for a while to make sure shes good before sending her outside and now shes leaking...
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment?
    treat ourselves i have duramycin-10 and tylan 50 if they will help

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    ground coop, now shes on pine shaving in isolation

noticed she was very lethargic and wouldnt open her eyes 3 or 4 days ago and her chest feathers were"crusty" the next day she was up and active and acting fine. yesterday we found her layed up in the corner struggling to breathe, thought she was dead, brought her in for isolation and that is when i injected her with fluids, she perked up pretty well, and has been eating and drinking and eliminating fine. now i walk in to check on her and shes discharging from her eyes nose and mouth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all help is greatly appreciated.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    omg, That poor thing! I am so sorry. Is she weezing or breathing hard? is it a foamy discharge from the eye? or just water? Does she stink?
    Might be a respitory thing but never seen the goo from the mouth before. Please keep us posted and good luck!

3. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    Anyone???? Any idea??????

4. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

When I have had troubles(respiratory, crop mold, crop bound, or any other unexplained illness) I usually treat with Duramycin..When that didn't help and I currently have 2 with runny eyes and apparent trouble breathing and a little cough, I found another treatment.

This has worked for me before and I hope it does this time.

Mix 1 Teaspoon Epsom Salt with 1 Pint Warm Water, Stir to disolve and the remaining salt goes to the bottom.

I use a Syringe with a longer slim tip on it and inject it into the beak toward the bottom, careful not to get into the nostrils!

I have actually made it a little stronger.. The water needs to be a little warmer than just tepid but not too warm to burn them.

This mixture I have given 2 times daily. Refrain them from food. Give them Vitamin and Elec. Water,

This mixture pretty much cleans them out like a laxative..sorta.. I have found that it worked.

Then later the 2nd day give them small amounts of food.

It will be normal to see runny poos and diarrhea so just make sure they do not dehydrate.

Then I follow with something like Duramycin for 5-7 days at a higher dose than normal. Often I give it to them at feeding time in a

syringe also. That way they are getting a higher dose, not just in their normal water.

Not sure if this will help but I sure hope so. I know how frustrating this is. Weather change here and suddenly mine have this.

Good luck and let me know if this helps![​IMG]

5. rumifriend

rumifriend New Egg

Jul 12, 2014
    My baby looks exactly like yours and she just started the discharge this morning that I noticed. I did notice a few days ago that she wasn't feeling well and didn't hang around with the other babies. I picked her up this morning and her chest was like it was swollen and really soft like a water bag. I started massaging it and more water came out and a piece of grass came out with it. I put her down and she started drinking water so I put her in a pen by herself. I don't know what is wrong with her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by