1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clear discharge from the nose.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pheonix, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Pheonix

Pheonix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Hey all. I have a Bantam Silkie that has clear discharge from her nose. That is the only thing that is wrong. She is eating and running around with the other Silkie and I only noticed it when I was taking a pic of him and noticed a snot bubble on her beak. Still eating, drinking, and running just fine. Is it a problem?

2. Pheonix

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    I just noticed that she also has oily/sticky feathers.

3. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't know if that is the same thing my BO had or not, but it spread to the eye. We tried with antibiotics and with VetRx, but it did no good. She lasted for about three weeks. I do not tell you this to alarm you- ony to be on the watch out as it may result in the need to see a vet. I hope your chicken does not have the same thing mine did. (RIP Poppy)

4. Pheonix

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Wonder if I should take it back to the breeder and say that it was sick. I just got her last weekend.

5. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Maybe talk to the place where you got her first and see what they say.....I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Any status?

7. Pheonix

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    haven't been able to talk to the breeder. But it seems like it is spreading. Now my Barbanter is getting the runny nose and just wants to sleep. They have been playing a lot in the potatoes so maybe..? I just fenced it off to see if that helps. They all, except the big alpha, sleep in one nesting box, which is cute, but I'm afraid it will spread faster that way. I don't know what to do. I'll be able to talk to the breeder in a few days.

8. Pheonix

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    haven't been able to talk to the breeder. But it seems like it is spreading. Now my Barbanter is getting the runny nose and just wants to sleep. They have been playing a lot in the potatoes so maybe..? I just fenced it off to see if that helps. They all, except the big alpha, sleep in one nesting box, which is cute, but I'm afraid it will spread faster that way. I don't know what to do. I'll be able to talk to the breeder in a few days.

9. Pheonix

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca

10. Pheonix

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    haven't been able to talk to the breeder. But it seems like it is spreading. Now my Barbanter is getting the runny nose, loose stools, and just wants to sleep. They have been playing a lot in the potatoes so maybe..? I just fenced it off to see if that helps. They all, except the big alpha, sleep in one nesting box, which is cute, but I'm afraid it will spread faster that way. I don't know what to do. I'll be able to talk to the breeder in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by