clear liquid running from hens behind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacampbell1973, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    So my Gold Laced hen Bianca is as mentioned dripping something clear from her vent. i first noticed about three weeks ago, she would come inside at night and sleep in a laundry hamper lined with a blanket, as she hadn;'t figured out where to roost at yet.when i would get her up in the morning her blanket would be wet on one end. I didn['t give her water in the hamper. Yesterday i picked her upand she in 2 minutes time soaked a small part of my sleeve. its clear, no odor, maybe a litttle bit gooey. Am I just dumb and this is normal? none of my other hens do this.
    The only other time i saw a wet back end my hen died within 6 hours. Bianca eats fine, poops ok, is healthy and shiny. and is about 6 months old, and to date i have not seen her lay an egg. What on earth is going on?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a picture?
    Do you think it is egg white matter?
    Does her abdomen feel swollen like it has fluid in it?
    What type of food do you feed her?

3. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello Wyorp,
    I dont know what to take a picture of...the liquid has no color. Its just damp and clear ad about a teaspooon. i tried to look at her vent to see if i could seee anything stuck but all i could see was a normal vent, closed , with a litte bit of clear mucosa. it looks like every other chicken butt i have ever seen. I don't thinik she is eggbound as this has been going on for over a month. and as i mentioned she eats well and poops ok.
    We do not have a vet here that will see chickens for less than $80 just to walk in the door sso i hope she is just quirky and leaks. Iff she is suffering i would take her there though. all the birds i have seen be egg bound just stand there in shock and don;t move. I would feel better if she would lay an egg though. As i was saying, she is about 7 months now and i have yet to see an egg that i knew for sure was hers.

She is a strange bird but very pretty and sdnuggly.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If she is acting normal, eating and drinking good then I guess just keep an eye on her.
    Hope she continues to do well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by