clear liquid running out of hen's mouth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sabong, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sabong

sabong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    okay...so about 10 minutes ago i was outside feeding my birds a snack and i was holding my pet...she is a white leghorn about 10 months old...and when i bent over to pick up my feed bucket this clear liquid ran out of her mouth and on my foot [​IMG]...but it wasn't a lot just a little bit kinda like a drool...so i tried it again and the same thing happened...but it seems like this has happened to her before and i don't know what to do [​IMG]...anyone know the fix or at least what the problem is?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is clear, and just a drool, chances are she had a very big drink just prior to you picking her up! I've done this lots of times with my girls, especially in hot weather when they're drinking lots to cool themselves down. If you check on her tomorrow first thing, and her crop feels very full and watery, and she might also have a nasty rotten smell coming from her beak, she may have a sour crop.

My bets are on the former, not the latter, but probably best to rule it out - check first thing tomorrow, as soon as she gets up and preferably before she's had chance to eat anything, and see if her crop feels like a water balloon. If it feels empty and flat, then she's completely normal [​IMG]

Post back if you find it's a possible case of sour crop though, and there will be lots of people online to help - it's a common issue and one I'm treating in one of my own hens right now.

3. sabong

Jun 5, 2010
    thanks so much...right now her crop feels like a water balloon but she does drink a lot of water just like the others so thats a relief...but i will let you know in the mornin [​IMG]

4. caralouise1974

No problem, let us know how she's doing tomorrow. [​IMG]

5. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    It's hot and nasty here and mine are all drinking tons - I've seen three or four doing the same thing this afternoon - I think they are all just full up on water.

6. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Same here! even my quail are doing it. [​IMG]

7. sabong

Jun 5, 2010
    Quote:she is fine [​IMG]...her crop is flat and she is her plain ole self...thank you so much [​IMG]

8. caralouise1974

Great news! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by