1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clear mucus, not eating much, occasional open mouth???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by viktoriacl, Oct 1, 2013.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have a barred rock born in March. She is not laying yet but is squatting. She is in a mix of different aged chicks and hens. She's getting starter grower currently. Today I noticed when she went to eat she shook her head and food went flying as well as some clear mucus! In my hair and over the top of her head! Nasty! I tried to get her to eat some crumbles but she didn't seem interested. I also tried apple sauce. I then put a few drops of olive oil and ACV in her mouth. She left her mouth open, closed her eyes and sneezed again! clear mucus flung around again. She's now by herself with water and ACV, egg, applesauce and crumbles. Her crop feels like a deflated balloon with sand or gravel in it. I must add that their food bowl was empty this afternoon so not sure when it ran out! little pigs are getting big and I guess eating more than I realized! Any ideas???

2. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Her neck is a fluffy too and now she's standing with her eyes closed. She shakes her head/neck once in awhile :(

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    She needs to be separated from the flock immediately. The head shaking could be due the upper respiratory infection it sounds like she has. Start her on tylan at 1/4 cc for small birds 1/2 cc for large birds. This can be administered orally or in the breast muscle once daily for 5 days. I know from expirence respiratory infections can get out of control very fast so I would start treatment as soon as possible. Tylan is usually very good for respiratory illness. However some illnesses are viruses and won't respond to antibotics. But its good to give it a try. Even if it is a virus the antibotic can prevent a secondary infection. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks! I just went out to check on her and she's digging and eating stones and ate a bit of crumbles but wont drink! I felt her fluffy neck and now wondering if she may have wry neck?? Would she be shaking her head and not drinking with Wry neck? She has a bit of a curve in her neck. UGH! Ill try to get a picture or video.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by