Clear nasal discharge/crusty nose

noidhndlr

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Hello,
I have 12 new babies ranging from 4 to 6 weeks. They are all active and eatting ALOT. 3 of the younger ones have slight swelling of the nostrils with a clear discharge when pressure is applied. The nostril opening will be crusty at times. I cant tell if the discharge has an odor or not.
The chicks are outside. They have a brooder area with a heat lamp if they want. They are being fed medicated chick starter.
Do I have a big problem on my hands? Should I start them on a antibiotic?

Thanks
Holly

If it were me, I would start them on an antibiotic in their water. That guards against a secondary infection due to a virus.

No antibiotic!!! There is no infection! It is a CRD (hit the blue link below) and that is viral incurable, not an infection.

If they are eating, running and having a good ole time, leave them to work it out in their systems.
All hatcheries and from what I gather, 80% of us have the same problem.
If you cannot smell a odor, then its not coryza, and you will never make that mistake of is it or not a smell. From what I understand you will smell it 10 feet away, and it will be the color of infection.

Due to the increased infection rates that are intolerant to antibiotics, please only use them if you have a secondary infection, such as wheezing, dumpy, not eating/drinking.

Back
Top Bottom