clear nasal discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchicks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Being new to chickendome, I don't know if I am overreacting to every little thing or not. But, my almost 5 week old belgian D'uccle has a bit of a runny nose, and has for a couple weeks now. She has no other symptoms, and I wouldn't have noticed it except she sometimes shakes her head when I have her on my hand and I feel the droplets. She also wipes her beak alot, though I can't see anything crusty or drippy, her eyes are clear. She eats well, is very active and alert.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. See above
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. See above
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing I know of. I got her and her "sister" silkie when they were 2-3 days old at the feed store. They have never been outside.
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. grower crumbles, water (not together)
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? My intent is to find out whats wrong and treat if necessary.
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They live in a 3'x3' box with newspaper on the bottom and pine shavings on top. They have a heating pad under one corner they can go to to keep warm. The are taken out a couple times a day to run around (inside), flex their wings and play (they like to chest bump). right now they are asleep on my shoulder.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Anybody?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by