Clear Nasal Discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lshipes14, Nov 23, 2012.

1. lshipes14

lshipes14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    A few of my hens & 2 roosters are showing a little clear nasal discharge & sniffling. I am treating with Terra-Vet 10, a tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder, because that is the only thing I have for a respiratory style infection. I called my vet & am waiting for him to get back to me, but I thought I would reach out on here and see if anyone has any ideas.

They are showing no signs of lethargy, they are eating & drinking fine, they just have a clear nasal discharge coming from their nose/beak, and a hen is sniffling a bit.

I live in Central Fl, the weather is in the 60's-70's during day & 40's at night. They have a well ventilated coop they sleep in at night & I treat them for mites & such.

Any thoughts?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be something environmental rather than a respiratory disease causing the symptoms, for example; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, previous pesticide use on the ground, inhalation while dusting your birds, feed dust etc...all of these problems can be corrected or eliminated.
    Here's a link to respiratory diseases just in case it's not an environmental problem and further symptoms develop. Take a look at Infectious Bronchitis (IB,) Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by