Clear tarp or Clear blue tarp

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Has anyone used a clear tarp as a cover for their run? I have heard there is a clear blue tarp material that is supposed to be very pretty. Where can you buy this?

I found this picture on the web that is supposed to be it but it does not say where to purchase.
DSC00562.JPG

DSC00561.JPG

I would love to see photos if you do have it.

Last edited:
Our hardware store carries blue tarps (people use them for camping or automobile covers too, so you could try an outdoor store or car supply shop possibly).

i'm guessing you're from the south from your name (me too) you do NOT want to use the clear . we have it on our greenhouses and we have to use shade cloth to keep the temps down. clear alone will act like an oven, trapping the sun's heat. blue is a cool color and reflects sun rays well . from is pics it's that parachute material look in fabric stores.

Last edited:
My run is under a lot of trees so it is already very shaded. I wanted to let some light in. Where do you get it please?

My blue tarps were really cheap - I bought a bunch over winter to help keep the hay bales dry......
I bought them at the feed store they were a few bucks each... pretty sturdy, I have even made a few holes to tie it down on the run tighter....

Whatever you get it will deteriorate over time. Some things faster than others. The inexpensive blue polytarps deteriorate pretty fast. I've seen them last only one or two years.

Even though you have shade the clear will trap heat.

What it looks like from your photos is lightweight tarps for camping. They are not designed for continual exposure.

Something along the lines of materials that nurseries use is probably what you need.

I get mine from a greenhouse supply company BWI. it's 6mil 4year i think i pay $180 for a roll 50x150. i'm warning you, today temps outside were 91, greenhouse with shade cloth and doors and windows open was 136 (i have a remote monitor in the house) needless to say we don't have any thing in there this time of year. it's been in the 150's a bunch of times already. are you trying keep rain off? or keep things in/out.
and how big.

my run is topped with shade cloth, left over.
but home depot sells them in green or tan 15x30? for $30

Last edited:
Quote:
Would you PLEASE post a PICTURE of your run with that Shade cloth . Does it sag when it rans . I was thinking of using tarp for shade , BUT to me that would sag with rain and ALSO create more heat then left open .

Back
Top Bottom