Clear watery drip from vent

FireCountry

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Hello, I just got a few new chickens today. I looked them over thoroughly to see if there was anything to be concerned about and they seem in pretty good health. Active, eat drink, nothing alarming but 2/3 had a bit of wetness around the vent. I am very new to chicken keeping so I'm unsure how normal this is. Clear, watery.. basically looks like water and just a few drips. Normal looking poops.
•Is this normal?
•What should I look for next?
•Are there any treatments I should start just to be safe if this is the beginnings of something?

Do you have an existing flock?

If you do, then you will want to house/quarantine the newbies for a few weeks of observation.

Do look them over for lice/mites and take note of any symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils, facial swelling, bubbles in the eyes, etc.

Do you have photos of the newbies?
How old are they?

The wetness around the vent, is it so much that it's like dripping down the feathers making them wet too or do you only see it on/in the vent when you are inspecting it?
I know that's an odd question - IF the pullet/hen is in lay and the vent (inside edges) is a bit "moist" then likely what you're seeing is normal/typical of a pullet/hen that is laying eggs. If you can get a photo of that, it may help too.

Do you have an existing flock?

If you do, then you will want to house/quarantine the newbies for a few weeks of observation.

Do look them over for lice/mites and take note of any symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils, facial swelling, bubbles in the eyes, etc.

Do you have photos of the newbies?
How old are they?

The wetness around the vent, is it so much that it's like dripping down the feathers making them wet too or do you only see it on/in the vent when you are inspecting it?
I know that's an odd question - IF the pullet/hen is in lay and the vent (inside edges) is a bit "moist" then likely what you're seeing is normal/typical of a pullet/hen that is laying eggs. If you can get a photo of that, it may help too.
I actually have a hen who has this same problem, she lays regularly. However, the problem started after we got her a rooster. Well he is very nice, doesn't hurt her or anything, BUTTT I'm wondering if this change is due to starting to mate? I've already given her 2 baths over the past few weeks, and it looks like her feathers are already getting clogged up again. I held her and the watery stuff comes out after a few minutes. She also starts to make a little inner cluck sound after it seems like she relaxes. I don't know what's going on!

Back
Top Bottom