CLEAR wing feathers???? HUH????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmychicknkids, Feb 19, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I was just looking at my little baby chickies and checking their ever growing wing feathers. I picked up one of my hubby's darling little La Fleche babies, stretched out her wing, and realized she has clear stripes on the feathers. [​IMG] I mean really clear...you can see anything through it. It is in just a few little stripes but totally clear...not even a hint of opacity. And no, they aren't bare, there really are feathers there. I tried to get a pic but couldn't get it to show...will try again later. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this??????

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I've had chicks with that. Color usually comes in to replace it eventually, but while it's there it looks almost like the bird is striped with missing lines of feathers. It's really cool when it gives the feathers a disconnected floating look.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Yeah, it really is cool looking......my first thought when I saw it was "why aren't these feathers falling off...they aren't connected!!!" I just hope the color that comes in is black!!! I realize these are hatchery birds but my hubby is gonna be upset if he gets striped La Fleche!!!! LOL

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    That was my first thought, too. I can't remember exactly, but I think I only noticed it on my black breeds. It may have occurred in my other breeds, but the black just made it stand out enough to be very noticeable. I never had any doubt they'd turn out fully black, though, and they did. It seems a bit of a shame, because if I had had any imagination I would have pictured my chickens gradually turning invisible the same way mottling spreads. Now that would be interesting . . .

5. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    I want an invisible chicken!! No fair!! I could just see me talking to them, petting them, feeding them, gathering eggs. Then I could just see me in an institution screaming let me out of here....they're real, I tell you!!!!! They're REAL!!!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by