Cleared up a chest infection but now she’s doing worse again. 🤔

EggplantIsSick

Hatching
May 10, 2021
Hello, our bird Eggplant is sick. She’s a Sumatra, maybe 4 years old, and maybe 2 lbs. She was very lethargic two weeks ago and was gaping and making gargling noises when she breathed so we isolated her and gave her baytril for five days. None of the other birds showed any of these symptoms (6 others). She cleared right up and started eating again and behaving normally but her comb never got color back and now she’s deteriorating again. She isn’t gurgling or gaping but she’s very lethargic and won’t even come into the coop at night now. She won’t sleep on a roost, she will only sleep in the pine shaving bedding, and during the day she is staying in the run except to get sun. I’m not sure how her poop is right now but will try to find out.

Any idea what’s happening?

Last edited:
Can you try using Baytril again? Or if you can find a vet that can work on chickens.

Take pictures of her poop and post, monitor her and take notes on changes.

Some breeds don't live that long something to consider.

I can try baytril again. Maybe 5 days wasn’t enough? But I don’t know why she wouldn’t be gurgling again if it’s the same infection getting worse. 🤔

Can you try using Baytril again? Or if you can find a vet that can work on chickens.

Take pictures of her poop and post, monitor her and take notes on changes.

Some breeds don't live that long something to consider.

She died today. I can only guess that maybe she had some shell stuck in her vent that caused the infection.

Back
Top Bottom