Clearly a red: Rhode Island? New Hampshire?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vermontgal, Sep 27, 2008.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All, can you give me an opinion on what flavor of RED this chicken is? Almost 14 weeks old. Thanks for your input!

[​IMG]
    PS> this is the same chicken as in my avatar... in the avatar pic, the chick was about 4-5 weeks old.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks more like a New Hampshire to me with the light coloring and spotting on the neck. A true RIR has VERY VERY dark red feathers.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm new to chickens, but have 10 RIRs who are 21 wks old and much darker red in color.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a NH Red. You can tell by the black in the hackle area and the orangey color. I have two NHs myself.

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd pretty much concluded that it is a NH Red -- thanks for the confirmation!

I'm only a little sad because I ordered 2 RIRs @ my local feed store. I got this bird (NHR) and an Easter Egger, because the woman who was distributing the chicks couldn't tell the difference between a RIR and an EE. (I have since filled her in on the concept of green feet = green eggs. She is a duck person, herself, so she just didn't know.)

So... ordered 2 RIRs... received 0. [​IMG]

7. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Quote:That is exactly what mine look like too, but I was told I was getting Buff Orps at the feed store, I knew something wasn't right when I started seeing black feathers in the tail. At least I know what they are now, Now I need to find a roo close to me so I can hatch some more this spring.

8. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    If it's any consolation..., my NHR is much more friendly than my RIR [​IMG]

That's still not what you ordered though [​IMG]

Shane

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    NHR