1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clever duck waterer idea

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Recently, while searching for something else i happen to come across this, now i have not tried it myself, as of yet.. i do have the materials do so on hand(although my waterer is a differing shape so i may not lol) so likely will but thought it was definitely a worthwhile suggestion to be passed on.

The only thing i would not do is toss the bass to the original waterer, keep it in case you either need it for something else or find it's not working out for you, bases for larger waterers are not as easy to replace.

http://frankiemakes.blogspot.ca/2012/06/watering-solution-for-ducks.html

Love to hear feedback on this concept, i will be trying it out here if my current materials will do otherwise later on.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sweet!

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Neat.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really like that idea but without level ground it won't work which is my problem those gravity waterers are hard to get level.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    That is very similar to the setup I used 2 years ago, but mine was not quite that deep. DH drilled about 4-6 holes thru an orange Home Depot bucket. I'd fill that, buckle on the lid, and invert that onto a recycled water softner lid. For little ducklings that worked very well. But without the depth it didn't work super well for adults. Plus turning it was a bit of a pain too. I'm wondering if the same vacuum pressure lock could be accomplished with the holes drilled on the bottom rather than the top, using that bigger base and the bricks, as GQ has shown?

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well i tried it with my existing stuff and it worked i have a round large waterer vs the hex shaped the blogger had. Worked well, they freaked at first same stuff but of coarse set-up differently meant -scary- it also let the water only skim up with ice vs frozen solid and we were cold, well below freezing, i was thrilled they actually had water all day. Trick is getting your pan vs waterer sizing to line up.. you need a certain circumference.

Definitely like the idea, will be using it here. [​IMG]

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    GQ how what volume does that hex shaped thing hold?

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I believe the hex one the blogger used was a 5Gal... i have a 3GAL round that i used, again it was open all day!! we were real cold... i was ----> [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by