CLICK HERE*a question you can answer?*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by markb816, May 11, 2010.

1. markb816

markb816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Hello,
    Chickens I am very much interested in as well. That why
    I am thinking about adding some variety to my flock.
    What/Where are some good places to purchase some healthy juvenile hens or pullets?
    I live in the Middle TN area(Nashville).
    Locally, or some mail order or websites??
    Somewhere trustworthy.
    How do they mail a chicken?? [​IMG]
    Should I have safety concerns with having a chicken sent with shipping and handling in the mail?
    I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt or harm a chicken, and I don't know if getting a chicken thru a website is safe

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    I used Meyer Hatchery. I ordered 15 baby golden buffs, they came in 2 days, [​IMG] and all are still healthy. [​IMG] They seem to have a very knowledgeable staff also.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I search through craigslist and local feedstore to find people who either breed chickens or sell pullets. Is there a Tennessee thread you could ask on?

Imp- Good luck searching.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Day-old chicks ship thru the mail pretty well, and fairly cheaply, there are lots of mail-order hatcheries to choose from.

But it sounds like for whatever reason you want part- or fully-grown chickens. That is a whole different thing.

First, recognize there is a considerably higher risk of bringing in a (contagious and possibly not curable) disease when you buy grown chickens. Proper quarantine helps reduce this risk but does not eliminate it.

Hatcheries do not offer very much variety of started birds, basically just white leghorns and sexlinks. They are very expensive to mail, and mailing grown chickens is rather stressful for them.

BY FAR (seriously, big time) the best thing is to find people in your area who have birds they'd sell to you. That way, no huge shipping costs, no stress to the chickens from being stuck in a virtually foodless waterless box for days, you can examine the birds before buying to reduce chances of getting something you don't want, AND this is the only way you will have access to reasonable variety.

There are a WHOLE LOT of BYC members in every state of the Union and many non-USA countries, so if you look you can quite likely find someone within driving distance who would sell you some birds; also there are millions more NON byc members of course, so asking around locally may get you tapped into the local poultry breeding network and you can find a breeder that way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Here's a link to the Tennesee thread in the "Where am I Where are You" section of the forum. Pat's right, your best bet for nearly grown/grown birds is to go local. Don't forget to quarentine if you get birds from more then one source.

ETA: I think you already know to quarentine new birds, but sometimes people forget that you shouldn't quarentine all the new birds together if they come from different places, each group needs their own pen.

Have fun!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=226276

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. markb816

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Craigslist doesn't have too much of a selection
    If anyone is in the Middle TN area or know of anyone in the Middle TN area, please let me know.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Click on the link I posted above, everybody on that thread is in TN and I bet one or more of them will be able to help you if you post there.

8. blk90s13

blk90s13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Howell,NJ
  9. markb816

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for all the options. I will defintiely take a look at their websites.
    Does anyone know where I can buy different breeds of hens or older pullets here in the Middle TN area?
    I didn't see much of a selection on Craigslist

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:As people have suggested several times to you, look at the BYC Tennessee members' thread and those peoples' websites. Really.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by