Clicker training chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by otis7, Jan 6, 2014.

1. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Here is my 4th session clicker training my hen Lil Red. Her goal is to peck the penguin pog. I've had issues with the treats spilling out of the cup, but light airy mealiworms are all she will work for. I started by placing a treat on the pog, clicking, and then giving her the cup. She quickly learned that although there may be feed on the feed room floor, she gets even more when she pecks the pog.

I've now added a frog pog to the mix, and little red is only rewarded when she pecks the penguin. With every session things get harder, and she's doing awesome! I would like to eventually like to have her be able to identify the pogs by vocal cue. Also would like to teach fun tricks like jump, spin and walk through a hoop.

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've wanted to clicker train my chicken for awhile! Congrats on what you have been able to do. :)

3. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    I highly recommend you try it! They pick up on it very quickly! I can't wait to see what else she is capable of

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Years ago, I clicker trained my Bobwhite quail to go into their coop at night. Quail are smart, but chickens are much smarter. So if I can get Bobwhites trained, it shouldn't be difficult to train chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by