Clicking and failure to thrive

HenneryTheEighth

Songster
May 28, 2020
I have a two-week old Cinnamon Queen chick who's 1/2 the size of the rest. She eats a little and drinks a little; still poops HUGE. She also clicks when she breathes and I haven't noticed any of the others doing this. No discharge from the nose, nothing like that. Just puny and clicky. Any ideas?

And now, even though she is still tiny, tiny, tiny, she is pushing bigger chicks out of the way to get to the feeder. And she's befriended the two biggest barred rocks in the bunch to keep her 'safe' from the rest. So funny.

Clicking when breathing is a clear sign of aspiration... she inhaled water into the lungs either when dipping the beak or maybe bumped by another chick by accident... starving her of oxygen every time she breaths... causing tired weakness.

Not sure if there is any help that can be given.. :hmm

:fl

Oh, man. That really sucks. OK, I'll make her as comfortable as possible and hope for the best. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Just an update on my “clicky” chick. She is still tiny, but has stopped clicking when breathing. Eating and drinking okay. Still spends a lot of time under the heat lamp, but does run around with her brooder mates sometimes. And she protests loudly when I pick her up. I think she might make it!

Back
Top Bottom