Cling-Ons....no, not the aliens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeffOeuf, Sep 17, 2012.

1. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    One of my ~6 month old pullets (hatchery stock Silver Laced Wyandotte) seems to have a problem missing her fluffy butt feathers when she defecates. She does have a particularly fluffy butt, however the others do as well, and I haven't seen this issue. Is this a sign of something? Her stools look normal, there's just getting to be a build up back there. We've cleaned her up a couple times, but it just keeps occurring. Any ideas on causes and/or solutions?

2. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    It happens. Best solution: Trim the buff fluff...LOL

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Like said, normal although not usual (maybe one of 10 of mine get this bad).

Trim the bloomers, if needed give a bath to loosen dried stools, and repeat as needed.

Blow dry and styling optional.

4. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    It tends to be more common in the birds with especially fluffy butts (Silkies, Cochins, Orps, Wyandottes) & seems to just be a problem with tradjectory. They just don't aim out far enuf so it catches in the feathers. The wash & fluff above works if you have the time for it, the easier method (as long as you aren't showing the birds) is to just remove some of the excess fluff.

5. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    Okay, now I am really going to show my "newbie-ness". In trimming the feathers, is that like trimming hair? No nerve endings, no blood vessels in the end of the quill, correct? I would like this to be low drama for both Henny Penny and me.

6. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    You should be able to trim butt-fluff to within about 1/8 inch with no problems, but probably not necessary to go quite that short. I just trim off whatever is getting cling-ons & it solves the problem & still allows for a fluffy butt which will stay nice & warm.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just like a haircut. I wouldn't cut them too close to her rear (more to alleviate pecking issues from the others than anything) Just trim enough that she doesn't collect poop on her rear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by